Monday, March 07, 2005

Valentine Brownies

I've decided that I would try to post a new recipe every week. I like to cook, I like to eat, and I like to write, so it really was only a matter of time.

This week's recipe? I baked these brownies as a Valentine's Day gift. So I'll call 'em Valentine Brownies. They are perfect for those special occasions when you need to give someone a nice gift, but are too broke to buy anything. (Because, hey...who doesn't like brownies?)

Valentine Brownies

3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup melted butter or margarine, divided use
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan, and dust with cocoa to prevent sticking.

2. Stir cocoa and baking soda together in large bowl, add 1/3 cup of the melted butter or margarine. Add the boiling water and stir until mixture thickens. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining butter, and stir until smooth. Add flour, vanilla, and salt, and stir until blended. Add chocolate chips or walnuts if desired.

3. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes. Cool completely in the baking pan on a wire rack, then cut into squares. Makes about a dozen large brownies.

(Okay, I admit it...this is not my recipe. I straight-up boosted it off of Hershey's website.)

No comments: